Friday, August 1, 2008

A Spiritual Retreat


Tuesday I drove up to the foothills by Squaw Valley for a two day spiritual retreat. I've tried to include a little bit of everything in my sabbatical (church visits, mission trips, educational reading, etc.). It was now time for the part I dreaded most- silence and solitude. Scary words for me. Now, for some of you, this kind of retreat might be heaven on earth. No kids, no phones, no computer, no TV, no human interaction. However, if you ask my wife, she will tell you that the lack of busyness and noise drives me crazy within a couple of hours. So why schedule such a retreat? The very reason that Jesus often went away by himself- to slow down, listen, and enjoy the presence of the Father. I knew it was necessary, but I just wasn't looking forward to it. I stayed at a cabin that a gracious family in our church let me use. I took off my watch, resisted the urge to turn on the TV and just sat there. Within a couple of minutes I thought, "Wow- 48 hours is going to feel like an eternity." I began reading the book of Acts and just chatting with God about what I noticed. After a while I picked up a church leadership book called, "Morph" and began to read. Surprisingly, time seemed to quickly pass by. Later that night, I propped up my lawn chair and just sat out under the stars. It was a wonderful moment with God in which he expressed his heart and love through the beauty and majesty of his creation. The second day included walks, more reading, and more sitting and listening. Many times I felt him telling me just to, "be still and know that I am God". I had some wonderful conversations with God and I wish I could tell you that I left I longed for more for silence, but when I got in my car to leave I immediately turned on the radio. Oh well, at least it was Christian music.

No comments: