Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Monkey Attack!



Last night we visited a zoo in Chon Buri with the Owens. We had planned a picnic and then a "night Safari" (they take you around in little shuttle buses and point out the animals with a big spot light). We had some time to kill before the Safari started so we bought a couple of bags of cucumbers, bananas, and beans to feed the animals. We started out feeding the deer with some beans. It was some-what of an "open zoo" so the deer had some freedom to roam around the place. They came right up and ate out of our hand. It was a wonderful experience for the kids. We then threw some cucumbers off a bridge to some awaiting hippos. I had saved some bananas for the giraffes and zebras. As we walked up to their area I noticed some monkeys walking around by us. I had been warned that they could be very aggressive, but as I looked at a couple, they seemed so cute. As they came closer I noticed them eying my bananas. Before I could say "killer monkeys," I had been surrounded by about 50 of them. It was me against them. I was determined to feed the giraffes and not them. Surely they wouldn't harm their close relative? However, when a big possessed male came up right in front of me and showed his pearly whites with a hiss, I quickly lost all bowel control and thew them the rest of my bananas as both families ran full-speed the other way. Obviously, because I'm writing this blog, we survived. But one thing is true, I will never look at those cute little demon possessed monkeys the same.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Okay...quit monkeying around and do a little work! Seriously, I just almost wet my pants--I was laughing so hard reading this post. Glad to hear your having a good time.
--Forrest